February 27, 2014

Hiking boots or shoes?

An avid outdoors person all my life, I have always worn boots when it came to camping and exploring in the outdoors.

As a relatively new hiker the game changes a bit. With more miles, differing terrain, it seams that making the correct choice can really help keep the dogs from barking too much. I know ultimately its whats best for me given a number of factors, but I wanted to hear from some of the more experienced trail hounds.

What do you prefer and why? 

4 comments:

  1. I've always sought out boots because that's what's traditionally associated with hiking and always thought the ankle support was justified. However, being a long distance runner and seeing how lightweight and durable trail running shoes have become, I'm starting to foray into using trail runners for hiking when carrying light loads.

    If you have a history of ankle sprains or weak ankles, then boots would probably be a better option for various hiking terrains. I'm no expert but I'm thinking that shoes will be great and more comfortable for even overnight hikes with a pack less than 25 pounds. If going above that, then I'd probably still opt for my sturdier boots. I will know more all this myself after more experimenting with trail running shoes and hiking shoes on different terrain and trips this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great points Will something to think about for sure. I am leaning towards a good pair of trail running shoes myself. I mostly do day hikes, so they might be the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use hiking shoes or trail runners. I find the weight of them, combined with the light weight of my pack allow me to go farther and enjoy myself more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul I am definitely going to shop for a pair of trail runners for day hikes. Any recommendations on brands etc?

      Delete

Thank you for your comment, it will be approved and post shortly.