February 21, 2014

My 15 Essentials For The Outdoors

Some of these are probably familiar to you others may not be. This is just what I carry; let me know how yours differs in the comment section. Always looking to improve and learn!


  1. First aid kit- Gauze, rolled gauze, butterfly bandages, emergency blanket, tape etc. Also any prescription medications that you may need if that day hike becomes an oh my gosh I got lost or injured multi-day hike.
  2. Filled water bottle- 1 liter a day is recommended for moderate climates. I also recommend carrying water tablets, a filter straw, Sawyer Filter, or a UV light etc. These are smaller, lighter, and maybe more economical than most water filtration devices.
  3. Flashlight- I like a hands free option, don’t forget extra batteries and bulb.
  4. Food- You’re burning calories and will get hungry, especially if you end up staying longer than expected. Pack food that takes no preparation and can be eaten on the go. Calories are important here, as they are energy.
  5. Sunscreen and sun protection- A bad burn can lead not only to skin cancer but to dehydration. Keep some sun screen and a hat in your pack, and don’t forget to use them!
  6. Bandanna- Better yet a Shemagh- See post on uses of a Shemagh
  7. Whistle- I would couple this with a signal mirror
  8. Map and Compass- Also know how to use alternate methods, a sundial etc.
  9. Rain gear- A poncho can keep your dry, helping to prevent hypothermia, and it can also be used as an improvised shelter
  10. Knife- More than just a Swiss army knife, I like a fixed blade. My go to is SOGs Seal Pup. The sheath even has a place for a Multi-tool…see next.
  11. Multi-tool- You know, for doing MacGyver stuff
  12. Matches or fire starters- I recommend both. Always have more than one way to start a fire. Fire can be used to sterilize water, cook food, keep you warm and signal for help with.
  13. Tender- Dryer lint, cotton balls slathered with petroleum jelly, whatever you like, have some tender to get that fire going even in the worst conditions.
  14. 550 Paracord- I lace my boots with paracord, as well as carrying some extra. Paracord can support 550 lbs, individual strands 50lbs. Great for lashing, fishing line, bow cord etc. Don’t leave home without it.
  15. Gorilla Tape- Its Duct tape on steroids. There is nothing you can’t do from fixing a ripped tent, to taping up blistered feet. Wrap around an old gift card or wrap a few times around your trekking poles near the top. It will come in handy!
Bottom line: You are responsible for you, be prepared, and have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Great list! I would add one thing. To me the most significant outdoor travel pre-requisite. Tell someone where you're going & when you plan on returning. Just my thoughts, YMMV.

    lostinthewoods

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest a backup water purifiying system maybe chemicals or even a small water filter. Some of the new systems are small and light!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, it will be approved and post shortly.